Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

Disclaimer:
When I became a blogger last June, Stephen just laughed and said “once school starts, you will never keep it up.” (Thanks for the support, dearest one!) I am very competitive by nature, so I thought “I’ll show you!” Well, well, well…we all know how that went. Six months later, I post again. I am going to pretend that I haven’t skipped a beat and I am sure in postings to come (hopefully) events from the past six months will reveal themselves. I know as Stephen reads this – he is thinking – Stephen: 1 point Jill: GOOSE EGG. There is not the slightest hint of animosity in my tone. =)

Happy Valentine’s Day from the Hasselbrings! (I suppose I should also be wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year… but I am supposed to be pretending that I haven’t ignored the blog for half a year.)

This morning as Stephen and I woke up for church – I wished him a Happy Valentine’s Day in passing as we got ready. He immediately replies, “Oh, yeah! It is Valentine’s Day! Happy Valentine’s Day, Jill!” Needless to say, I wasn’t anticipating a dozen roses on the kitchen table with a comment like that.

As we were eating breakfast, he mentioned that he had great intentions of buying me a card, but he just didn’t get around to it. (He is still in PA school (it hasn’t been that long since my last post) – He had two huge tests this week in his hardest classes…) I just giggled knowing that I had bought him a card last week when I went to the store.

As he was eating, I slipped away with the card to sign it and add a few comments. When I finished, I set the card in front of him. He looked at me with a “dang it, I should have bought her a card, this is very embarrassing” look on his face. It was priceless! I was loving every second (remember, I am very competitive – and he is too!) The next thing I know he is pouring my coffee and getting me cream and sugar to go with it (in a completely joking way to make up for his shortcomings!)

The whole situation was hilarious to both of us!
I wouldn’t have changed it in anyway – because that is us.

But I will say: Stephen – 1, Jill – 1. Not that I am competitive or anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment