Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Dad,

Here are a few reasons why I feel so blessed to be called your daughter:

1. You always loved and supported mom. You showed Jocelyn and me what a good marriage looks like.

2. You were not afraid to be firm with me. It made me feel more secure and cared about.

3. You taught me the value of a dollar, the importance of saving, and the rewards of giving back to God.

4. You taught me the importance of family and the small things in life. I will never forget the words we grew up hearing, "Girls, it doesn't get any better than this." I noticed that you only used that phrase when we were all together as a family and enjoying each other - not when we enjoyed anything of monetary value.

5. Despite all my mistakes - you forgave me. Through those mistakes, you showed me first-hand God's grace, mercy, and forgiveness.

6. You didn't protect me from consequences - you taught me that I needed to learn the painful way sometimes.

7. Everything you promised, you fulfilled. Thank you for never letting me down.

8. You were always consistent. You never confused me or made me lose faith in you.

9. You provided lots of love and understanding.

10. You showed me the benefits of hard work and the importance of commitment - whether we hate what we are doing or not.

...

Dennis,
Stephen is becoming more like you daily. I joke with him about it on a regular basis and he always says, "If I am half the husband to you that my dad is to my mom, I am perfectly okay with becoming like my dad." As a wife, it is hard to express what it means to know that her husband was raised by such a great father and husband to his mother.

In addition, I cannot thank you enough for treating and loving me as if I was one of your own. You have already taught me so many things I have treasured.

To the greatest men in the world, we are indebted to you forever for all the things you have taught us.
We thank you from the bottom of our hearts, Jill and Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment