Sunday, June 14, 2009

Will there be a class on handwriting?

Stephen has definitely found a method that works for him when it comes to studying. I am actually saying that with great pride because it is not even a month into school. I am thankful I am not typing that sentence a year from now. I would be slightly afraid for his patients, if that were the case.

But have no fear future patients out there! Stephen has discovered notecards - and lots of them. I think it would be smart for us to buy stock in whatever company makes notecards - at least for the next two years. They won't go under - I guarantee it.

When he studies, he reads a chapter and highlights important information. Then, he goes back and writes the highlighted information on notecards. Some notecards even have pictures. He can draw a brachial plexus like none other - I don't even know what that is!

After three weeks of school, here are all the notecards (These are excluding his Netter's Anatomoy Cards).



The only problem with the notecards is that only Stephen, and I mean ONLY Stephen can read them. To give you an indicator of how bad his handwriting really is - I am an elementary school teacher and I read lots of not bad (I don't want to be negative towards my students), but developing handwriting. Let's just say, I have good practice, and I still struggle with reading his handwriting. The combination between the itty-bitty size and the incomplete formations of the letters can ensure a really bad headache.

We quickly discovered after only quizzing him on his notecards twice - that I was more of a hinderance when I helped him than a benefit.

I would think that if you were standing in the room it would be quite humorous. I would try to sound out the scientific word on the front, but not say it correctly. Stephen would correct me and immediately start listing the information on the back of the card. He would finish and I would still be deciphering the first word on the back of the card. Since I basically missed everything he said because I was deep in "deciphering mode" in my brain, I would go back and make him list everything again. Needless to say, he stopped asking me to quiz him. And rightfully so. I'm thinking he decided that our marriage was far more important.

Just so I don't sound like a horrible wife (Stephen has already decided that this blog is for husband bashing), I will go ahead and give you another indicator of how bad Stephen's handwriting is...

On Stephen's first day of work at Elite, Dr. Elrod was reading some notes Stephen had written on a piece of paper. He turned to him when he finished and said, "Steve, we have plenty of paper here at Elite, you don't have to write so small."

Dr. Elrod even mentioned when Stephen left Elite in May, "Maybe they (PA school) will teach you how to write."

Then, just last week, a friend of mine needed her husband to see Dr. Elrod. After their visit, she sent me a message on Facebook. In the message, she explained that she was told to relay a message to Stephen by his old co-workers that "they found somebody who can write."

So for the record, I am not the only one "bashing" out there. For some reason it's okay though when other people do it. Weird how that works!

Bad handwriting or not, I am so proud of Stephen's dedication and the hard work he has put into the notecards and school so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment